Before you decide run a remote internship program, here are considerations to keep in mind:
Hire Your Interns
- Interviewing – What does an all-remote interview process look like?
- Payroll – What will compensation look like for a remote intern? Any tax implications to be mindful of if they are in another country?
- HR – Who is the dedicated HRBP for the intern? Will it be by region, org, etc.?
- On-boarding – What will the first day and few weeks look like for a remote intern?
- Hardware / IT – How will laptops and other items be shipped to an intern? How is it returned?
- WFH stipend – Can the company cover WFH setup basics (monitor, ergonomics, etc.)?
- Programming – Can your events budget be repurposed for WFH stipends, meal stipends, etc.?
Setting Your Intern Up For Success
- L&D – Could your company offer access to Skillshare, Udemy, etc. for professional dev. courses?
- University guidelines – Are there updated policies from universities around remote internships?
- Don’t forget to ship out that swag! Remote or not, you want your interns repping your company!
Ready to hire your remote intern? Check out this post on how to create a great remote internship experience.