Our goal is to plan and execute a robust remote 12-16-week summer intern program at X. Interns will be assigned real projects and make a real impact while supporting teams across different functions of the organization while being 100% remote.
Internship start and end dates:
May 4 – Aug 21 (16-week program)
May 18 – Aug 7 (12-week program)
June 1 – August 21 (12-week program)
June 15 – September 4 (12-week program)
- Finance / Comp / Payroll
- IT / Business Tech / Workplace
- People Operations / HR / Onboarding
- Benefits / Mobility / Immigration
- Diversity & Belonging
- Engineering DRI
- Are we able to support remote interns?
- Would we need to create a separate Code of Conduct for remote interns?
- Would we need to resend new offer letters to interns with different verbiage about hours and liability to return laptops, and etc?
- Any issue with offering students the option to opt-in or out of the program?
- Opt out – are we obligated / should we pay the interns a certain amount?
Finance / Compensation / Payroll
- Navigating taxes for remote interns in different locations domestically and internationally. Any restrictions or guidelines?
- If we cancel, how do we pay out interns that aren’t on the payroll?
- How will we determine and adjust compensation packages?
- Should we provide a standard comp package across all technical roles?
- What to do, if anything, about any relo/housing stipend?
- How should we properly convey all of our program logistics to the incoming hires?
- What is essential and non-essential to share?
- How often should we commit to sending updates?
- How do we best keep in touch with the students during the program?
- Do we offer a manual with one source of truth?
IT / Biz Tech / Workplace :
- Do we still have enough hardware to send to X interns?
- If so, what laptop models will different interns need?
- If so, what are the logistics / time it takes to get hardware to new hires?
- Domestic vs. international
- How to track laptops?
- Who would be running point for their team on shipping logistics?
- Any issues or concerns with remote IT onboarding?
People Ops / Onboarding:
- What will People support look like for a remote program?
- Will the intern be assigned an HRBP? What is their relationship to them?
- What will a remote new hire orientation look like? Logistics?
- If we need to push out start dates, what is the earliest that interns can start?
- When should we trigger background checks?
- If no response from schools, should we ask interns to provide transcripts?
Benefits / Mobility / Immigration
- Updated intern benefits for remote interns?
- How will this impact their benefits if interns are working remotely from a different city we hired them for?
- Are international students allowed to work from their respective countries?
- Ex: China and India’s labor regulations permit this. As for Singapore, conditions apply.
Diversity & Belonging
- How can we partner with our diversity team to make sure our program remains inclusive?
- How can we leverage our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) for our program?
- Learning & Development opportunities
Engineering Partner / Leads
- How do we ensure a consistent technical program across the board?
- How can we best prepare engineering managers for a remote intern?
- Project expectations – Should we adjust the scope of an intern project to make it more reasonable and suitable for remote work?
End of March – Schedule meeting with stakeholders to run through high-level logistics
Early April – Send out official program update to incoming interns
Mid April – Drop dead date (Should we continue with all-remote, in-person, half/half, etc.?) For countries outside of the US, decision to resume on-site work depends on Govts’ directives.
Late April – Finalize all program logistics and details, ship hardware for May hires
May – Intern program begins